Historic fire engine display
Thu 04th May 2017
The latest attraction for visitors to see at Claydon is now on display: our Victorian fire engine has moved to a new home in the Courtyard.
In the days before national fire services estate like Claydon often had their own fire engines which would attend fires on the estate and around the local area. The fire brigade would have been made up of estate staff and local volunteers. Our fire engine was built around 1860 by Shand Mason & Co of Upper Ground Street, Blackfriars Road, London and acquired from them by Sir Harry Verney, 2nd Baronet (1801-1894).
The Buckingham Advertiser records:
- 11th April 1868 “Fire at Claydon House - a large rick of hay, standing at the back of the stabling of Claydon House…was discovered to be on fire. The alarm was given and the engine belonging to the premises was soon in full play.”